Monday, July 12, 2010

What we’ve been up too

We have taken on a BIG project of remodeling out kitchen. The whole process began a few months ago (really it started a few years ago when we started dreaming and saving) We did an Ikea kitchen so I was able to design the floor plan and pick out all my cabinets. Then a month ago we bought all our cabinets and appliances. For a few weeks I put all the cabinets together and then 2 weeks ago we ripped out our old cabinets and appliances and started the wiring and floor. Danny (Derek’s brother) came out last week and Derek took the week off work They put the new cabinets in and install all the appliances. I don’t think we have been to bed before midnight for the last few weeks so we are tired but very excited about our progress. It seems like we had to do a lot of the work twice like hanging the cabinets. They had put most of the base cabinets in and then discovered that they had to be lowered an inch, bummer, Derek and Danny also had to build a case for the dishwasher, and build the base for our island and secure it to the floor. I wanted it to be very secure since I know my kids will climb up on it and there are outlets in it. Well they did a great job, the island is not going anywhere. Even the counter top guy commented at how well it was build. I am so proud of Derek and Danny and how well the kitchen is coming together. I was worried if we were really going to be able to do it since we have no experience but with the help of google, some how-to books and family we really did it. Danny was a great help and couldn’t have done it with out him.

Siesa is working really hard




My kids have been helping every step of the way. Siesa’s favorite part was going into the crawl space (seems gross but it is actually pretty clean) and painting (unfortunately I have banned her from painting since last time she was “helping” she painted her whole head. Jensen loves to drill and hammer and especially enjoyed ripping out the old kitchen.



I was without a kitchen for only 2 weeks. We still have a lot left to do like mudding and sanding sheet rock, tile, paint, make curtains, etc. but over the next few weeks we hope to get everything done and I post pictures of the before and after.


3 comments:

Becky J. said...

Looks awesome! I'm so glad you have it just the way you like it now. What kind of counters did you get? Can't wait to see the finished product!

Danielle Strong said...

oh how exciting!!! it is looking fabulous.

Andy and Kimi said...

I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to see the finished product!