Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Candy Approach

This year we decided to take a little different approach when it came to Halloween candy. This morning I declared it “Candy Day.” (Last night was our trunk-or-treat so the kids were going through their mountains of candy.) I told them that they could eat as much candy as they wanted today and then tomorrow the rest of the candy was all going to disappear (aka eaten by me or thrown in the garbage.) They thought that was a great idea. Their breakfast consisted of eggs and about 5 pieces of candy each. They have been eating candy like crazy all day and on a sugar high pretty much all day. We also conducted “science experiments" on our candy (mostly the candy they didn't like). Out of all the different types of candy, the only three that floated in water were marshmallows, kit-kat and whoppers. Also, did you know that if you put M&Ms in the microwave for a full minute nothing happens, they don’t even get hot, add a little water, completely different story. Taffy was the favorite, it gets nice and bubbly when nuked. I just finished cleaning up and threw out the leftover candy. There wasn’t much, it had all been opened, tasted, stepped on and experimented with. I’m not quite sure how tomorrow is going to go, (I have a feeling they are going to be . . . well . . . a little grumpy) but I am glad there is no more Halloween candy around my house. We are definitely making this a tradition.



4 comments:

Jay and Mel said...

That is such a great idea. I should try that with my boys. I would just end up eating all the rest of the candy!! It was really fun to read and look through your blog. You are such a great Mom!! Glad to see you are doing so well.

Lindsay said...

I think that's a great idea! Sounds like a quality tradition.

Becky Slivka said...

Oh I love it! Matt would think that was the greates tidea and I would maybe get off te hook about brushing their teeth five time a day. Your costumes are darling and the witchp party looks so cute. Such a good idea.

A little by the way, your kitchen is BEAUTIFUL! I know you did some remodeling yourselves, did you do the kitchen because it es awesome. I love the blue.

Cecily said...

Such a great idea. I think that I'll instigate it next year. This year every few minutes is spent asking for candy.